Friday 17 October 2014

Sources & Websites for Job Seekers


Salam w.b.t and hello everybody.

How is everyone doing? I am doing just fine and I hope so do you. In this entry, I would like to share the sources or websites which I visited the most when I was looking for a job. Well, there was a bunch of them and I might miss some of them. Anyhow, I will give my best to list them all and hopefully, it will help those who need it.

Before I list down the websites, I would recommend that you create a profile and submit your job application at your interest companies. Huge companies normally advertised the vacancies at their website and the time is varies. For instance, create a profile at Petronas, Shell, ExxonMobil, MMHE, and others, so whenever there is a job vacancy, you can simply submit your application. Other than that, some companies also have a newsletter and you can subscribe it. From that, you can catch up any updates about the company.

Below is the list of websites I frequently visited during my job hunting. From the websites, specifically number 3 and 8, I received the news if there is any career fair and career trip that will take place.

  1. Linkedin - https://www.linkedin.com/
  1. Jobstreet.com - http://myjobstreet.jobstreet.com.my
  2. Talentcorp - www.talentcorp.com.my
  3. Mudah.my - http://www.mudah.my/
  4. Jenjobs.com - http://www.jenjobs.com/
  5. Pick and post - http://www.pickandpost.com.my/
  6. Jobsdb.com - http://my.jobsdb.com/my
  7. Sector Focused Career Fair - https://www.facebook.com/SectorFocusedCareerFairSFCF
  8. JobsCentral.com -http://jobscentral.com.my
  9. Skim Latihan 1 Malaysia - http://www.epu.gov.my/sl1m

I joined the career trip organised by TalentCorp twice. The first one was in late 2012 and the trip went to Sepang and Johor. The second trip was late/early 2013 and I visited the engineering companies located in Kuala Lumpur and Selangor. The trips were fun, beneficial, and informative for a job seeker because you have the opportunity to meet face-to-face with the top management of the companies. Besides, I also gained the tips and tricks from the engineers as well as get the idea what the company is dealing with. During my time, all the costs were covered by TalentCorp and it was luxurious. You will also make a lot of new friends and you can exchange stories with them. The place is normally limited and it is first come, first serve basis.

I also went to career fairs around Kuala Lumpur with hope it will land me a job. The company just collected thousands of  resumes and say they will get back to us. The truth is, none of the companies I visited at career fairs offer me a job. However, through the career fair I had the chances to practice to speak professionally and met various types of employers. Some employers treated me very professional and they shared the updates of their company, what are they looking for in the fresh graduates, and their experiences. In addition, I also got the idea the estimated time of the job opening at the companies as well as the wage they offered. Unfortunately, some of the employers at the fairs were so rude. They treated some of the visitors especially inexperienced job seekers like a beggar begging for food/money. It is bitter to swallow but it is the truth because I experienced it first hand. Maybe it was isolated case but I believe any job seekers had experienced this once in a lifetime. Anyhow, the career fair is still a great place for a job seeker to mingle around if they do not have any better to do.

Other than that, I also applied the jobs advertised in the newspaper. In my opinion, The Star advertised a lot of job vacancies and gave loads of tips for a job seeker. I always buy The Star especially on Saturday because there is a special section in the paper which discuss about recruitment. Every week, there will be a discussion on specific topic by a professional recruiter from various companies/firms. For example, the trend of job demands, Gen-Y management, and many more. I would recommend you to buy The Star every Saturday if you can afford it. Well, during my job hunting it was on Saturday, but it is better if you check it first before you buy. The day may be changed.

I guess that’s all about it. I believe there are still many other options, but this is from my part. I hope this will help people out there. I think I will keep posting entries about job hunting until I start working, so please bear with me. Hehe… Alright, as usual take a good care of yourself and see you later. Salam w.b.t and chow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is on your mind? Share it with me :D

See you at the next pit stop